Copyright © Ruby's Musings
Design by Dzignine

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chocolate, Chocolate Patty Cake Cookies

It was play time in "Ruby's Kitchen" again . As a part of a barter with my middle daughter to draw a few new avatars for the blog, and to re-design it, I promised to bake cookies. Chocolate chip are her favorites, but often I find them a bit boring to make. Being who I am, I pulled out my treasured recipe book and found an oldie but a goodie....Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Spice Cookies... now named Chocolate, Chocolate Patty Cake Cookies, will get into that reason in a bit. 

Recipe book I have owned since being a newlywed.

Gathering of ingredients, and a few extras.

Chocolate, Chocolate Patty Cake Cookies 

Heat oven to 350 degrees F
app. 2 - 2 1/2 doz.

1 1/2 cups quick oats
1 cup flour 
( * I used white whole wheat, also added extra 1/2 cup to extend recipe to make more)

1/2 cup packed down brown sugar ( * light or dark) 

3 TBSP softened or even melted butter 
(* I used Best Life Margarine, & as I extended recipe I used an entire stick as well as a bit extra because I added extra ingredients )

1 egg
(* 2 if you are adding a lot of extra dried items) 

1 - 2 TSP Vanilla to taste

1/2 TSP Baking Powder 
1/2 TSP Cinnamon

1/2- 1 TSP freshly grated nutmeg
(*pre-grated is fine, just use a bit more) 

1 TBSP or to taste of coco powder 
( * I added a lot extra so that was why more margarine and extra egg
1/4 TSP of salt 
(* optional , I did not use any

One small bag of semi sweet chocolate chips
(*I used two and so again why I had extra ingredients to help with moisture) 

Dump all ingredients into one bowl..no really, that is what I do. Mix until everything is moist....if it is still too dry, add a bit more butter/margarine...the recipe is very forgiving!
A lazy woman's cookie !

Get your arm work out here!
So now to the new name. Because I was adding extras all over the place I could not simply scoop and drop...though if you stick to original you may be able to do so, I have in the past. So it was time to get the hands a bit sticky...the margarine worked great as a moisturizer!! So as I could not scoop and drop, I gathered the dough in my hands with the help of a small spoon, then I rolled into 1" balls and it was time to play patty cake...I squished and patted the dough to little flat patties.....

Place cookies 2" apart if making original recipe as a drop cookie, and 1" is fine for the patty cake version...you can also just spray cooking spray on the cookie sheet ..I love my silpat
Once patted and placed, ( or dropped and placed) on cookie sheet, bake app. 10 minutes for drop, and 11-12 for the patty cake version. Pull out when firm to the tap on the top with your finger           ( come one be brave) and then pull out and let cook a couple minutes before placing on a cooling wire rack to cool 100% ( though I did eat one warm one to make sure cooked, since I had played with the recipe) . 
I am telling you a drizzle or dip into melted chocolate would be wonderful!
These cookies will be a drier texture cookie because of the oats and coco, but perfect to dip in tea, coffee or if really in need of a chocolate overload, you can dip them in hot coco!! Careful they do crumble a bit. OH and another thing, once they are cooled you can dip them in melted chocolate and let cool again. Store in air tight container up to 3 days. I baked these on Friday and just had a couple and they were yummy, even seemed to have gained some moisture from being stored on counter LOL 
Tea Time!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simply adore all your comments! Thank you so kindly for leaving one! They mean the world to me...more than you know! I love hearing from my readers. XOXO Comments will not appear until I approve them, due to spam bots.