Copyright © Ruby's Musings
Design by Dzignine

Monday, October 18, 2010

A Hard Hat & Pearls adventure.....Part One of Old Sacramento's Underground Tour.

     I am a week over due for sharing this. Last Sunday we went on a tour of Old Sacramento's Underground...or so it says on the sign and the web site when we bought the tickets. I was all excited to go on the tour and see the famous , VERY HAUNTED underground tunnels of Old Sacramento. This sadly was not the case. The tour started out at the Sacramento History Museum... 
We walked in and collected our tickets, but having 45 minute wait, we decided to sneak around and take a tour of the museum itself, normally not included on the underground tour, but no one stopped us so.... Here is a visual of what we saw...I did not take too many notes from inside....but the visuals alone give you an idea of the history of the area....
 The entrance......
 A kitchen from the 1800's
 Wells Fargo represented once again, as it is an important part of Sacramento history.....


 Printing equipment...the Sac Bee is our local paper.....
 A ships wheel, from one of the many boats that went up and down our rivers here...

 More printing equipment....

 Actual old pages from the newspapers....



 Boiler Fragment from a ship circa 1864
 You could spend a good couple hours reading up on all the local history!
 Mock up of the Delta King
 Textiles and Paisley fabrics were a big part our local history...
 The actual front of the Sac Bee's original building reconstructed inside the museum!
 Still more to see....
 A walk through the decades in history ...



 Old games....



 The Indians lend a very rich history to our valley











 Hubby and daughter taking it all in....
 A local family owned restaurant that is profiled ... I just loved the decor!


 And the hairstyles and hats etc....
 Blue Diamond's factory is here in Sacramento and this is a representation of the conveyor belt system from the factory.
 Old farm equipment....



Once we went through the museum , it was time to put on the hard hats...Here is me and daughter Rebecca ...
    YEP! Even with her beautiful teeth it is hard to get a smile out of her, and yet with my nearly falling out ones I still find it easy to smile... YEAH! ME! Oh and this was the ONLY shot where she was not goofing off.

Meet our tour guide Ted. He was very personable and you could tell he loved his job! I kind of wish though that we had the lady in the costumes leading us! No offense Ted.



But soon we were off on our tour of the Old Sacramento Underground....BUT you shall have to wait till tomorrow! I will share the few photos we were allowed to take, the notes I was able to write down while walking ( not easy) and the history I have found on line that is a bit more complete....till then.....I as always urge you to go out and find your own local adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Ruby ... this pictures are so cool. I'm always looking for adventures around our neck of the woods! (I would have liked the costumed guide, too!) Ah, well! The photo of you and your daughter is lovely! Two beautiful ladies!!

    ReplyDelete

Simply adore all your comments! Thank you so kindly for leaving one! They mean the world to me...more than you know! I love hearing from my readers. XOXO Comments will not appear until I approve them, due to spam bots.