Copyright © Ruby's Musings
Design by Dzignine

Friday, October 2, 2015

Just Winging It ...and a Blogger Award

via Style Caster



There is a hash tag on Instagram #pinupgirlproblems  ...my pin up girl problem is winged liner... I have not in oh, I don't know, thirty plus years of doing one "nailed it" as of yet. Each day I do one... rarely skip a day, and on no two days are they alike...never mind the eyes, the liner, the wings not meant to be twins, mine are rarely in the same family. So I spend the bulk of my one hour getting ready for the day, yes, and hour...that is another pin up girl problem...trying to make my wings match up and the sad thing is, that then I go outside and my eyes water and suddenly I am crying black tears. I have tried every style of liner, gel, liquid, pen, pencil, thin brush, angled brush, stiff tip, soft, felt, waterproof....I have tried a lot of price points. Ok not sure pricey ones, but pricey enough. I have a drawer full of black eyeliners! I use good light, a magnifying mirror, and even have make up glasses; yes they are a thing and you can still buy them.

via gramfeed.com

I have watched countless you tube videos, tried the tape trick, the spoon and business card trick, even tried the eye brow stencil turned upside down trick and yes those too are all things.. don't believe me, go look them up on youtube. Of course as it so happens is I am going nowhere, and will be seen by no one that cares, often as my luck would have it they turn out perfect. Maybe its being on a time clock that is my enemy. It certainly can not be lack of practice or skill...YES, I do have some make up skill...or maybe I really don't! The gals on the videos make it seem so simple. I have asked many of my friends and they will admit they do not always get it perfect all the time, there is "make up fails", even my brow gal Dorthy today says she often has them and she does make up all day long!! So if even the other pinups who always look perfect can't get it right, is there hope??

via buzzfeed
Brushes for the gel pot liner

I always have pointed cotton swabs and
a make up wipe, with one of the swabs
in it close by for touch ups.

My collection. Felt, skinny brush in
liquid both in a pencil type shape container,
and a little pot, gel in the pot, felt tips....



Looks simple right??? ( via pintrest) 

I tried on friend's tip of using a pencil first and then
going over it with the liquid...it worked the other day...
then today not so much.
Pretty darn good! Excuse the brow hairs...I was over due for
a pluck...it is all better now!

This was after three attempts, wiping it all off and doing it again,
not bad, but not perfect...and one inner corner I never seem to match it
with the other either... even on good days! 


When considering doing this post, I decided to ask a few of my friends who are ladies who make up always looks wonderful and who all seem to have different styles of wings and ways of doing them if they would not mind sharing with me, and you, tips, tricks, favorites etc., and they were all quite generous. Some are bloggers, some are models, some both...all are pin ups. 


@justalark on Instagram


"....the best and easiest method I've found is first lining my eyes with a crayon eyeliner as a sort of a base sketch, then going over it with a felt tip liquid liner. Creates a darker line and it's much friendlier to use" 


@kirstiemydear on Instagram 


"Gel liner is the best in my opinion! Helps make make a precise line more easily ( more control over the brush) and it lasts! Currently I use Bobbie Brown's gel, but may switch to Anastasia of Beverly Hills ( moussey and smooth texture) ...Maybelline is a great dupe at a lower price. I always draw my wings first." 


@missvintagelady on instagram
This lovely, who is a makeup artist, model, and all around gorgeous lady inside and out was kind enough to provide the below for me to use, and we chatted tips all evening long as well......

An All Dolled Up Moment with MissVintageLady....
"As a Professional Make Up Artist, I have always dabbled in finding the best products for my clients. Let me tell you it's not easy finding that perfect liner, you expect your eyeliner to be the perfect shade of black that lasts through the day, it must not flake, & most importantly easy to remove without staining the skin grey. Gosh I hate that with some liners. 

- My absolute Favorite Make Up Era is the 1940's! My go to Liner for the era is a Sharp Pointed Pencil Eye Liner a classic Pencil Liner you can find almost anywhere! I switch on & off between my favorite Pencil Liners, I use Chanel, Dior, & Givenchy I feel that they give the best results for me. 
However this is such a Classic Pencil that you can find so many lovely dupes! 
My favorite is from Chanel I use Le Crayon Kohl for a simple defined thin cat eye right against my lash line. For a more Dramatic look I use Le Crayon Yeux it's a Creamy Smooth Pencil that creates a defined thicker cat eye more of a 1950's feel. 
Now if I want a Liquid Liner which is usually for my photo shoots I use N.Y.C Liquid Liner it's a Drug Store Brand! The fluid is rich & leaves a beautiful clean black line, perfect for a Pin Up! 

My number 1 tip is always use a flat angled brush with a concealer that matches your skin tone perfectly to clean up the edges & make them sharper than a barber's blade! "


Finally, is a dear young woman I have the pleasure of being friends with on line has not only sent me a wonderful tutorial, but photos to use as well! She too is a blogger, a model and just the sweetest! 


@laceychiffon via Instagram

Lacy writes...
When doing my signature cat eye, I always start out by priming my lids. I use just a basic eyelid primer from Wet-n-Wild. Once my eyebrows and shadow are on I go directly to my eyeliner.

I use Kat Von D’s Trooper. Her tattoo liners are amazing! However you have to prime your lids otherwise it rubs off. have very hooded eyes, so I start out by making a very thin line right on my lid.



Next I make a small triangle, the great thing about the eyeliner I use is that it glides very easily over your eye.


Once I love my little triangle I fill it in, then bringing the rest of the liner to my inner corners, trying to keep a thin line.



If I like it I start the next eye, doing the same thing, but of course it’s so hard to get it right the first time. If I need to go back over the other and make it thicker or longer I will. I finish the rest of my makeup at this point and then to set my look I use Maybelline’s newest setting spray, it gives me a little bit longer wear on my makeup, which I need!




I have learned a few new tricks...how about you...are you going to give it a try? You do not need to make the wing nearly as long as many of these lovelies, if it is too dramatic for you, I often make a much smaller wing when it is just a day at home or just taking a walk to the local bagel shop for coffee. I think a combo of using a pencil first and then starting my line a little in from the corner may be my two that I am going to implement in the future.

You may have noticed I have not included links for the bloggers, well, there is a very important reason. Just yesterday I was awarded a blogger award, The Versatile Blogger Award, by the ladies over at Style Lyfe Blog..... ( thank you ladies... I am honored!!)



There is rules that go along with receiving the nod from a fellow blogger(s) , and they are as follows...

If you are nominated, you’ve been awarded the Versatile Blogger award.
    •    Thank the person who gave you this award. That’s common courtesy.
    •    Include a link to their blog. That’s also common courtesy
    •    Next, select 15 blogs/bloggers that you’ve recently discovered or follow regularly.
    •    Nominate those 15 bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award
    •    Finally, tell the person who nominated you 7 things about yourself.


to find out more visit the official web site...HERE


For me? I am so honored!



So, first, I am supposed to name off 15 blogs/bloggers. I follow hundreds, but not regularly. And I am not entirely sure if they would like to be nominated and have to participate, bloggers can be a fickle bunch to be sure. I have in the past introduced you to a few, when I spoke of some of my idols and I share a few links via banners in the P.C. version of this blog in the side bar. So I am only going to name a few, and some of them I have shared with you above...but will do so again right now.. and a couple I have recently been over joyed to have guest blogged on their blogs and it is my way of saying "thank you" 

1. 


2.




3.




4.

banner is property of  Miss Amy May's web page and is subject to copyright.


Miss Amy May 

5.

photo is property of, and subject to copy write,
Pin up Persuasion 



So, I am going to stop at 5 as far as the blogs/bloggers I am nominating and now it is time to list my seven things about me. I find that hard, because if you have been a reader for any length of time you know all about me, but I will try.

1. I grew up on a small "farm" and would have to slop the pigs, and feed the steer before school each morning for a few years to help my Grandpa.

2. When I was a girl, I would walk in high heels to the bus stop, all day at school and then home...even on the dirt road portions I had to go on to get too and from

3. I love B grade horror flicks from the 50's and 60's and love to be scared and spooked, but will not watch blood and gore and hackem slashem movies. 

4. I drink hot tea every day, all day, even if it is 100 degrees out.

5. I am friendly, but really shy, and talking to people makes me nervous. 

6. I have not made a single close friend in nearly 9 years and spend a lot of time all by myself. 

&
7. Bad health has ravished my teeth and gums, so am ashamed with how they look, but I smile anyway.



2 comments:

  1. I've done a winged eye for as many years as I can remember and used to be pretty darn good at it. In the last 2 years, however, I have noticed it getting harder and harder to get them to match or even to get to a point. The problem is the skin around my eyes is loosing its tension. Both eyes can look perfect when my eyes are closed and my eyebrows raised, then I open my eyes and relax my face and they are big black messes. I'm perfectly happy with my age (40 this month) but it does make the shwing a bit difficult. I find that if I do my eyeliner very thin on just the lids, then open AND relax my eyes while doing the wing, I have a better shot of them coming out ok. Congrats on your blogging award!

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to thank you for the belated bday wishes...and early happy birthday to you! Oh so I hear you! That's a lovely tip! Thanks for the CONGRATS and comments.

      Delete

Simply adore all your comments! Thank you so kindly for leaving one! They mean the world to me...more than you know! I love hearing from my readers. XOXO Comments will not appear until I approve them, due to spam bots.