Copyright © Ruby's Musings
Design by Dzignine

Monday, September 26, 2011

Every Penny Counts!

I mentioned in my last post that my hubby and I have started to allow ourselves to dream of purchasing a home again. If all the stars align, that is. This is going to take a lot of effort to keep the dream alive on both our parts. But it is a worthwhile one, considering if you have a decent down payment, even the minimum of about 5% payments on a home in the 160,000.00 range and below will be less per month than renting...and you have the security to know that your yearly payment will not go up. Anyway, the pros and cons is not what this post is about. 

Hubby and I both dream of a home such as this, close to the one we once had...
Our former home

This post today is about what we are doing to make this dream come to be a reality. I mentioned our daughter may go in with us on this and therefore there is more hope! We of course have decided to go back to cutting way back on outings, purchases unless truly needed and eating out again. We had allowed ourselves some small luxuries over the last four or so months with the increased earnings, while still putting money into savings, but now we want to re-tighten our purse strings and speed up the savings process. It means sacrifices of course, but they will be worth it. Even the simple act of ceasing to color my hair and all of our family deciding that there is a 20.00 limit on gifts for Christmas will go a long way. 

I won't be putting the money in the bank...ok maybe a little...
What we have done is so simple anyone can do it, and my many do. We are saving our change. We have designated a large decorative glass urn for all our silver change (we have one already for pennies)and maybe a few spare dollars here and there. I made a pretty little tag labeling the urn and we are off to a fairly good start! There was a time when the same change went towards gas money or often food, but now I am determined. This is of course is not the only way we are saving, we are all going to save, in a bank savings we will put away larger chunks. But just the act of saving change, seeing the level go up is exciting and motivation. EVERY CENT COUNTS! 

Hubby and I dream of a small kitchen, perfect for breakfast for two.

What I always ask my hubby

"My" home sweet home!
Just a couple of clips from Modern Times staring Charlie Chaplin & Paulette Goddard 
"Home Sweet Home" scenes...First the dream...
 


then the would even be happy with as long as it was all ours...not really, but you get the point...

3 comments:

  1. Good for you guys! We are doing this, but with our car payment. We will have it paid off within 4 months and then have NO credit debt whatsoever. This makes me insanely happy. I don't mind giving up the little things to further the big picture along :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes, Ruby, on your dreams of a home again! Just making a plan is half the battle! Sending lots of good luck wishes your way! xoxo

    Sandy at Ooh La Frou Frou
    http://oohlafroufrou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can attest to the change jar savings! Used an old extra large pickle jar and when it was filled, I had over $2,000 in change! Whod'a thunk it! You go, girl.

    ReplyDelete

Simply adore all your comments! Thank you so kindly for leaving one! They mean the world to me...more than you know! I love hearing from my readers. XOXO Comments will not appear until I approve them, due to spam bots.